Black Bean Burgers

7:26:00 PM Anna 0 Comments

So I know I change up the look of my blog a whole lot - but I'm still trying to get the right feel for it.  Very plain right now, but I'm sure I'll change that soon.  I'm definitely still getting the hang of blogger.

I made these black bean burgers a week ago but forgot to post - mostly because I didn't get very pretty pictures of them.  But now, with hurricane Sandy keeping me inside a bit more than usual, I thought I'd take the time to post.  The recipe I followed is from Skinnytaste's Spicy Black Bean Burgers (surprise!).

What you will need:

16 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 bell pepper (red, orange, or yellow) cut into small cubes
1/2 cup green onions
3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
3 cloves garlic, peeled
1 large egg
1 tablespoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon hot sauce (you can omit if you dont wan't them to be spicy)
1/2 cup quick oats (I didn't have quite enough so I also added some breadcrumbs)



Get your beans as dry as possible and mash with a fork in a medium sized bowl until they turn into a thick paste.

In a food processor, chop bell pepper, green onions, cilantro, and garlic.  Then, add oats (and/or breadcrumbs), then egg and spices.  When these are all finely chopped, stir mixture into mashed beans.

Divide into 4 patties.  Put on a flat surface and cover with wax paper - freeze for at least two hours before cooking.



When patties are ready to be cooked, heat a lightly sprayed skillet on medium heat.  Cook on each side for about 7 minutes.  I also had to put mine into the microwave for a minute or two to get the middle as cooked as the outsides.

I ate mine open faced with a bit of hummus on top - yum!

I hope this rain clears up soon and we can all go back to enjoying that beautiful fall weather.


You Might Also Like

0 comments: