Curried Coconut Lentil Soup

8:39:00 PM Anna 1 Comments

I've been looking for some fall recipes and found one that I thought sounded perfect for this dreary, rainy day. It WAS perfect.  Curried Coconut Lentil Soup.  I must admit I have never [knowingly] eaten lentils, cooked with coconut milk, or curry powder.  I know, kind of weird, but I'm still pretty new to cooking.  These flavors, along with all of the others in this soup, were amazing together.  I only made one addition to this recipe and followed the original cooking directions. I  would highly recommend making this!

                                  

What you will need:

2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
2 teaspoons salt
1 cup coconut milk (I used Trader Joe's unsweetened from the shelf)
3 cups water
1 cup red lentils, rinsed (I used Trader Joe's split red lentils)
1/4 yellow onion, chopped
1 can garbanzo beans, drained
1 cup fresh or frozen peas (I used frozen)


First, saute the garlic and olive oil over low heat in a medium to large pot for 2-3 minutes.  Then, add tomato paste, curry powder, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, and salt, and saute for another few minutes.  Stir constantly.


Next, add water, coconut milk, garbanzo beans, onion, lentils, and peas.  Bring to a gentle boil and cook for 15-20 minutes uncovered.  Stir occasionally.  Remove from heat and enjoy!



This made 4.5 cups worth of soup for me.  With it being 4 servings (a little over a cup in each), each serving has about 310 calories, 17 grams of protein, 45 grams of carbs, 6 grams of fat, and 12 grams of fiber. 7 WW points plus - not too bad!



Thank you, Molly Alice Nests, for this recipe!  Be sure to check out her blog for the original recipe and much prettier pictures.

You Might Also Like

1 comment:

  1. ive always wanted to decorate a room using the colors of those three spices..

    ReplyDelete